The abuse of opioids is pandemic and the number of deaths attributable to opioid abuse has reached historically high levels. This panel will examine the current state of substance abuse in the United States and how aspects of the opioid epidemic effects our clients and patients. Topics will include an examination of traditional treatment protocols, as well as newer, alternative treatment options. In addition, the panel will provide guidance on how to assess and select treatment programs. Finally, the panel will discuss the ways mental health professionals and lawyers can work together to optimize the potential for successful recovery from substance abuse.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify substance abuse issues specific to opioids.
- Become familiar with indicia of substance abuse.
- Become familiar with both traditional and alternative treatment modalities for substance abuse.
- Identify different types of substance abuse treatment programs and criteria for participation.
- Learn about the working relationship between lawyers and mental health professionals in substance abuse cases.