Here’s what’s happening in the AFCC California child custody community this summer:
- The joint AFCC-AAML Conference is once again being held this year in San Diego, Sept. 19th through 21st. The theme this year is “Advanced Issues in Child Custody: Evaluation, Litigation, and Settlement” and is open for registration – click here for information and to register. Early Bird rates are still available through August 19th.
- The Sacramento Annual Custody Seminar will be held Friday, September 27th at Arden Hills Spa and Club. This event is co-sponsored by the AFCC California Chapter, the Assoc. of Certified Family Law Specialists (ACFSL) and Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP, and the topic is “Trauma Informed Child Custody Practice.” Registration is open – for more information, click here for the registration form.
- In May our first 40 Hour Child Custody Evaluator Training was held in Sacramento the weekends of 5/3-5 and 5/17-19 featuring Drs. Robin Deutsch, Leslie Drozd and Robert Kaufman. Co-sponsored by AFCC California and the local Sacramento Mediator’s Outreach Group, its purpose was to fill a dire need in the state for mental health professionals seeking certification and was a great success. Plans are in the works for a follow-up 40 hour Custody Mediation Training which will help fulfill the requirements for doing private CCRC work in California and is tentatively set for the 4th weekend of October and the 2nd weekend of November. It will once again be held in Sacramento. Look for an update shortly. To be informed when registration is open, please click here to contact the event’s coordinators.
- The AFCC Fall Conference will be held in Pittsburg October 31st – November 2nd, with the theme “Integrating Research into Practice and Policy: The Impact on Families and Children.” Click here for more info.
- The 2020 AFCC California Chapter Annual Conference will be held February 7-9 at the Park Central Hotel in San Francisco, and the theme will be “The Power of Difficult Conversations: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Creating Connection, Compassion and Calm in Family Law” Registration will open this fall; more details to come. Mark your calendar now!
Merry Gladchun has been a legal secretary since 2002, working primarily in family law, and has served as Chapter Administrator for AFCC California since 2015. She is currently also the chapter’s webmaster and administrative editor for their newsletter, AFCC-CA Insights. Merry lives in Los Angeles.